From: "Petteri R├Ąty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:17:52
What we currently have now:
1. gentoo-dev: technical issues
2. gentoo-project: non technical cross project issues
3. gentoo-council: supposedly council related things

Problems I see with this:
1. People are unsure where to post to and cross post to mailing lists in
order to reach more devs. The right way here is a single mailing list
and gentoo-dev-announce.
2. We have two relative low traffic mailing lists gentoo-project and
3. If we truly use gentoo-council for all council related matters it
splits cross project technical talk between gentoo-dev and gentoo-council.
4. The original point in creating gentoo-project / gentoo-dev-announce
was that people wouldn't have to receive discussion about technical
items if they wanted to. So technical items should stay on gentoo-dev
instead of floating elsewhere.
5. -council is probably not reaching as many developers as -dev so
technical issues might not get input. Granted this point can be helped
by using gentoo-dev-announce but then devs who only want to see the
decisions would see the initial discussion too.
6. A user not familiar with our mailing list setup might not find
-council to follow up important threads if they want to.

What I propose:
1. Use gentoo-dev for technical council related matters
2. Use gentoo-project for non technical council related matters
3. Use gentoo-dev-announce to start threads if deemed necessary but
moderators should be alert in order to not have too much of these
through -dev-announce.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-council] Nuking this mailing lists Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>