From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:17:52
1 What we currently have now:
2 1. gentoo-dev: technical issues
3 2. gentoo-project: non technical cross project issues
4 3. gentoo-council: supposedly council related things
5
6 Problems I see with this:
7 1. People are unsure where to post to and cross post to mailing lists in
8 order to reach more devs. The right way here is a single mailing list
9 and gentoo-dev-announce.
10 2. We have two relative low traffic mailing lists gentoo-project and
11 gentoo-council.
12 3. If we truly use gentoo-council for all council related matters it
13 splits cross project technical talk between gentoo-dev and gentoo-council.
14 4. The original point in creating gentoo-project / gentoo-dev-announce
15 was that people wouldn't have to receive discussion about technical
16 items if they wanted to. So technical items should stay on gentoo-dev
17 instead of floating elsewhere.
18 5. -council is probably not reaching as many developers as -dev so
19 technical issues might not get input. Granted this point can be helped
20 by using gentoo-dev-announce but then devs who only want to see the
21 decisions would see the initial discussion too.
22 6. A user not familiar with our mailing list setup might not find
23 -council to follow up important threads if they want to.
24
25 What I propose:
26 1. Use gentoo-dev for technical council related matters
27 2. Use gentoo-project for non technical council related matters
28 3. Use gentoo-dev-announce to start threads if deemed necessary but
29 moderators should be alert in order to not have too much of these
30 through -dev-announce.
31
32 Regards,
33 Petteri