From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-council@l.g.o, pms-bugs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] pkg_pretend USE validation and VALID_USE alternative
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:48:48
> Roughly, VALID_USE is a list of constraints stating what the allowed > use flag combinations are for this pkg. If you think of normal > depdencies (I must have openssl and python merged prior), it's the > same machinery.
Maybe we should first discuss if we want to drop the following rule [1] which your proposal seems to contradict: | Occasionally, ebuilds will have conflicting USE flags for | functionality. Checking for them and returning an error is not a | viable solution. Instead, you must pick one of the USE flags in | conflict to favour. Ulrich [1] <http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags/>