From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev-announce <gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-council] Agenda for the council meeting of February 8th 2010 at 2000UTC
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 14:21:01
1 Please find below the agenda for the council meeting of 8 February
2 2010 at 2000UTC. Note that the time is one hour later than usual, i.e.
3 21:00 in western Europe, 3:00PM US east coast and noon for US west
4 coast
5
6 Denis.
7
8 ----------.
9
10 1. Intro (5 minutes, including late arrivals)
11 1.1. Make sure somebody is logging
12 1.2. Roll call
13 1.3 Who wants to chair?
14 1.4. Last chance for remarks on the agenda
15
16 2. GLEP 58 (5 minutes)
17 Make sure you have read the latest version of GLEP 58 [1] and vote.
18 Proposed plan, see [2]:
19 1. Council approves GLEP58.
20 2. Portage support is added, we add MetaManifests everywhere needed
21 (top-level, categories, metadata, eclass etc) in the tree.
22 3. Old Portage versions still work at this point, because they ignore
23 the other Manifest files.
24 4. Wait 6-12 months for Portage upgrade cycle.
25 Then when and if desired we can proceed to dropping the per-package
26 Manifests but that will have to be the subject of an additional GLEP
27 at a later time (and we do have quite some time to come up with that
28 due to the above timeline):
29 5. Change the content of the MetaManifests to be per solar's proposal.
30 6. Drop per-package Manifests from the tree.
31
32 3. GLEP 59 (5 minutes)
33 Make sure you have read the latest version of GLEP 59 [3] and vote.
34 Note that due to Robin having had some issues with his flight to
35 FOSDEM the changes in [4] may not be in there yet, but vote as if they
36 were committed.
37 Proposed plan (see [2]):
38 - Can add new hashes right now.
39 - Some of the old hashes we can remove right now.
40 - Have to keep just one old hash for old Portage to still work.
41
42 4. GLEP 60 (5 minutes)
43 Make sure you have read the latest version of GLEP 60 [5] and vote.
44 Proposed plan (see [2]):
45 - Can add new types right now.
46 - Cannot remove ANY types for a full upgrade cycle.
47
48 5. GLEP 61 (5 minutes)
49 Make sure you have read the latest version of GLEP 61 [6] and vote.
50 Proposed plan (see [2]):
51 - (unconfirmed) Cannot add the compressed files in per-package locations until
52 the upgrade cycle is done, as old Portage will complain about their existence.
53
54 6. Open-ended discussion on VDB (30 minutes)
55 See the thread at [7]. Here's a non-exhaustive list of topics to
56 discuss (please try and keep technical details of potential
57 implementations for the end of the discussion):
58 Do we care about VDB caches currently not being compatible across
59 package managers?
60 Do we want to develop a way to work with more than one type of VDB
61 cache (similar to Brian's proposal or not) or do we prefer investing
62 our time into developing a new VDB?
63 What do you think about Brian's proposal in general?
64 Is a VDB cache EAPI material, i.e. should it be defined in PMS?
65 (currently PMS says explicitly that it shouldn't)
66
67 7. Conclusion (5 minutes)
68 11.1 Action list. Who does what and when?
69 11.2 Who takes care of the summary and log for this meeting? When?
70 11.3 Next meeting date/time.
71 11.4 Who will follow-up discussions and prepare the agenda for the
72 next meeting?
73
74 8. Open floor (ad libitum)
75