From: Trevor Forbes <t4bs@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-cygwin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cygwin] interest in gentoo-cygwin
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 20:51:06
Patrick Lauer wrote:

>The problem here is that Cygwin is incapable of parsing all filenames that >are valid in Linux. RSYNC_EXCLUDE is the "easy" way out. Restricting filenames >would work too. > >The only ebuild I can remember that had this problem was a CFEngine >module >- maybe this is no longer a problem? > >For patched ebuilds I'd prefer a cygwin-only repo until basic stuff >works, >no need to stuff another broken arch into the tree. Especially the >insane >gcc patches and the "new" libc should be kept away from the rest. > >wkr, >Patrick > >
The easy way out is to use a managed mount, just a simple mount for /usr/portage. However, so far I have not seen the ":" problem. I grep-ed portage for illegal characters and could not find any, so as Patrick said it, it may be a non issue now.. The main problem seems to be that rsync is broken, which other users have reported to the Cygwin email list. Patrick, who is in charge here. I want to start making changes, and need advice as the the bests way to approach it. Trevor -- gentoo-cygwin@g.o mailing list