From: Trevor Forbes <t4bs@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-cygwin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cygwin] interest in gentoo-cygwin
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:32:10
1 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 20:27 +0930, Trevor Forbes wrote:
6 >>I copied portage over from my main PC which eix reports it as 2.1_pre3-r1.
7 >>However, my Cygwin installation is not very clean so there could be
8 >>anything hiding in there.
11 >That shouldn't be much of a problem, as long as you have python and a toolchain
12 >(make/gcc/...)
16 >>/ I think the linker problem was fixed some time ago, but if not it can
17 >>be fixed.
20 >Would be nice ...
23 >>The libc functions can be add when needed.
26 >Lots of work.
29 >>File semantics can be fixed, the whole Cygwin idea is to look like Linux..
32 >Not really :-)
33 >Windows takes file semantics from DOS (legacy, no technical reason for
34 >that)
35 >An open file usually can't be modified - so Cygwin keeps a mapping table
36 >to fool you.
37 >This is not as reliable as "native" Unix - also many packages make
38 >implicit assumptions about e.g. file system layout which don't work well
39 >with Cygwin.
43 >>I don't expect it to be easy, it may in the end, be unworkable. I am
44 >>just interested to see how far I can take it. Its just going to be a
45 >>slow process...
48 >That's why I looked at SFU, it seems to be a bit smarter than Cygwin.
49 >
50 >Patrick
53 Tks, looks like I have lots to do.... :)
54
55 Trevor
56 --
57 gentoo-cygwin@g.o mailing list