From: Eddie Parker <eddie@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-cygwin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cygwin] Hello!
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:24:03
roger wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 14:30 -0800, Eddie Parker wrote: > > >> Anyhow, is there anyone listening/reading this mailing list anymore? >> What's the status of this project, if so? >> > > I'm listening, but there hasn't been much activity as far as I know. > > I think most would rather spend time programming a native linux program. > > 4 or 5 years ago, I used to spend time debugging programs for porting to > cygwin or windows, but I have advanced to other things now. > >
I can't say I blame you. I've been following the instructions on the wiki [1], and while I've got it working, it seems that most packages require tweaking to get to work... I can imagine the debugging would be intensive to, when things don't work. :( That said, if there are people who are interested in this sort of stuff, it might be nice to see what the status of the previous project was(/is?). Top of my mind are questions such as: 1.- Does anyone know if the Gentoo community is/was willing to have the 'Cygwin' arch as a 'supported' arch within portage? [2] 2.- Did any of the previous maintainers/visionaries for this project have any thoughts about replacing in-use files such as Python? Be-it through windows' typical "reboot" methodology or some such? 3.- At the very least, was it/would it be possible to have a script that create a portage overlay from Cygwin's setup.ini, so you can get binary packages installed with emerge as a start? I'm not naive enough to think I'm the only one to've thought of these things, so I'm actually just curious if there were technical limitations to any/all of these that I'm not aware of. Just trying to get a read of how this project went! Cheers, -e- [1] [2] I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology, basically to have it be an ACCEPTED_KEYWORD, and having ebuilds as part of portage that support it?

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-cygwin] Hello! "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>