From: Jamethiel Knorth <jamethknorth@×××××××.com>
To: devel-list@××××××××.org
Cc: fedora-devel-list@××××××.com, debian-devel@××××××××××××.org, gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o, cooker@××××××××××××××.com, freebsd-arch@×××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Re: [RFC] User Accesable Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 16:44:04
1 After the previous suggestions on this topic, I have revised the proposed
2 standard somewhat. It is still posted in a variety of formats at:
3
4 http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/uafhs/
5
6 I added the suggestion of using .<distribution>/<architecture>/ for a
7 directory structure, rather than my first change to simply putting it into a
8 hidden umbrella directory of a standard name. However, I still have several
9 questions regarding this which I could not find an immediate answer to:
10
11 Should there be a standard naming scheme for architectures, or should that
12 be left completely to the devices of the distribution? I'm tending towards
13 leaving it to the distribution, but would like some comments.
14
15 What about architecture independent systems, like Java? Should each distro
16 include a 'java' architecture, or something of that sort? There is no
17 particular reason for such files to be in every architecture's folder when
18 they work fairly widely.
21 I also liked the idea of having group directories similar to the shared
22 directory. In a larger work environment, such directories could solve many
23 difficult problems. The standard doesn't say much about them, however,
24 besides that they can be named arbitrarily and should have an internal
25 structure identical to /home/shared/ and should be located somewhere in
26 /home/. I don't see what else is needed to be defined on that topic, but
27 would like any suggestions.
30 I see no reason to unhide the program folders. They are still perfectly
31 accessible when they need to be accessed, but they can at least be kept out
32 of sight. This is even more important when using a naming scheme based on
33 the distribution which could result in very many folders.
36 Due to the fact that I merely added to and edited the old document, rather
37 than going through and actually rewriting it, or at least checking it, the
38 wording is clunky on several occasions. I'm not too concerned, as this is
39 still a draft, and will work more on clarity when the ideas to be conveyed
40 are better decided.
41
42 As always, thank you for your commentary and criticism.
43
44 Micah Abresch
45 jamethknorth@×××××××.com
46
47 P.S. In case anyone was wondering why this was sent to the lists it was:
48 those are the groups which have easily accessible public lists and to which
49 this proposed standard seemed relevant.
50
51 P.P.S. Many people have contributed ideas in discussions but aren't added to
52 the contributors section. Luckily, everything is in a public archive so I
53 can go back and see who suggested what, but it would be easier if anyone who
54 wanted to be credited would just e-mail me about it.
55
57 Persistent heartburn? Check out Digestive Health & Wellness for information
58 and advice. http://gerd.msn.com/default.asp
62 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list