From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:45:31
1 On Thursday 22 January 2004 18:02, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 >
3 > Oh you of little faith. Someone approached karltk at LWE with a
4 > completed python+gtk2 installer. See http://pen2.sclab.clarkson.edu/.
5 >
6 > I quote Karl:
7 > "What's more, they're going to be working actively on this
8 > irrespectively of whether we officially start using it or not. I
9 > personally would think it completely stupid not to seriously consider
10 > this most generous offer; they are an entire sw development team, they
11 > seem organised, they have api docs, and they're long-time gentoo users.
12 > Having them do most of the dirty-work, leaves us to do integration and
13 > tweaks, to polish this thing off."
14
15 Looks quite ok. There are some point I think are of interest though which
16 basically come down to "there is no expert mode":
17 - There is access to a partitioning tool, let alone qtparted or similar.
18 - Only a very rough package selection is available.
19 - I don't know whether it is smart to offer a no-network setup to newbee's,
20 gentoo has a rather strong assumption on the network being available.
21
22 In general I think we should decide on what kind of installer we want, who do
23 we want to target? Do we want to target newbee's. Do we want to offer
24 software based on detected available hardware (offer sane if a supported
25 scanner was detected)
26
27 Paul
30 Paul de Vrieze