From: Matt Wilson <matt@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:57:26
> 1) Runlevel editor: to add and remove services from runlevels, and to > start, stop and restart services. I actually made this, some time ago, > screenie can be found at: > Although I made it > myself completely, it's based on redhats tool.
I'd say that this is fairly mandatory - I remember many years ago when I first moved to Linux and had a run level editor... the only problem is I didn't know what a run level was :P
> 2) Network configuration editor
> 3) Portage editor: to edit all variables in /etc/make.conf, including > selecting mirrors, and adding use-flags
Sounds fair.
> 4) User administration tool: to administrate local users.
> Suggestions are welcome, keep in mind that we are deciding on which apps > to make. The individual requirements are the next step.
I'm wondering how this is to be organised? Are we aiming for seperate applications to perform the tasks or one pluggable application that can do them all? (ala Linuxconf). I'd tend to lean towards the latter I think, as it would mean that different sections of the app. could be enabled/disabled depending on the user's experience/knowledge or UID :) -- - A great source for free CGI and stuff Forget it, Marge, it's Chinatown! -- Homer Simpson Secrets of a Successful Marriage -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list