From: Matt Wilson <matt@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:57:26
1 > 1) Runlevel editor: to add and remove services from runlevels, and to
2 > start, stop and restart services. I actually made this, some time ago,
3 > screenie can be found at:
4 > http://blubber.student.utwente.nl/~blubber/gct.png Although I made it
5 > myself completely, it's based on redhats tool.
6
7 I'd say that this is fairly mandatory - I remember many years ago when I
8 first moved to Linux and had a run level editor... the only problem is I
9 didn't know what a run level was :P
10
11 > 2) Network configuration editor
12
13 Yup.
14
15 > 3) Portage editor: to edit all variables in /etc/make.conf, including
16 > selecting mirrors, and adding use-flags
17
18 Sounds fair.
19
20 > 4) User administration tool: to administrate local users.
21
22 Again.
23
24 > Suggestions are welcome, keep in mind that we are deciding on which apps
25 > to make. The individual requirements are the next step.
26
27 I'm wondering how this is to be organised? Are we aiming for seperate
28 applications to perform the tasks or one pluggable application that can
29 do them all? (ala Linuxconf). I'd tend to lean towards the latter I
30 think, as it would mean that different sections of the app. could be
31 enabled/disabled depending on the user's experience/knowledge or UID :)
34 http://www.mattsscripts.co.uk/
35 - A great source for free CGI and stuff
38 Forget it, Marge, it's Chinatown!
39
40 -- Homer Simpson
41 Secrets of a Successful Marriage