From: "Gerald J. Normandin Jr." <gerrynjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo-desktop howto fix-up
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:10:33
I've always thought that the install guide would provide for devices
that are not detected properly.

In any case, some very good dicussion going on, aand i've been jotting
down some notes, regarding audience, content, etc.

So.. what is everyone's position on including basic howtos for various
popular desktop applications? (can a vote be taken from actual users of

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 17:14, dams@×××.fr wrote:
> Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o> said: > > > On Thursday 20 November 2003 11:31 pm, foser wrote: > >> I would even take it a step further and scrap the refresh rate mumbo > >> jumbo. We have Xrandr and related tools now, X configuration should be > >> kept to a basic guide to get it running decently. Then a more extensive > >> xfree guide could be done and linked to for additional (expert) > >> configuration needs. > > Why not just detect X configuration at boot and save stuff like preferred > > resolution etc somewhere else? > > Of course, there might be a problem if the autodetection doesn't work, but we > > could probably fallback to VGA so the user can manually configure it. > > That's the way to go imo, but a desktop guide should be usefull for the cases > where you are in trouble, that is when the detection doesn't work. > > I remember installing my second gentoo on a running linux, mounting stage1 cd > iso in loopback. So no boot, no detection. Of course it's unusual, but if the > guide can be some kind of reference, I think it's a usefull feature.
-- GnuGP key id# C1DBDF81 available from Key Fingerprint = 2215 37C2 30EB B42D CC60 972E FC3C 749E C1DB DF81