From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:44:01
On Monday 26 January 2004 22:22, foser wrote:
> Besides the fact that the document disregards most of the discussion > here on the D&R list so far concerning an installer. It -in my opinion-, > like most other installer projects (except pen2), describes an installer > that is a full replacement for the current installation process, which i > think shoots way beyond the target audience of an installer.
That's why I wrote my orig reply in this thread. I think we should enhance the installation process instead of replacing it. We should allow the user to tell the installer what to do, skip/repeat/reorder steps and have access to the 'real' console all the time where the installer runs its commands and the user can run his as well. I agree that if the installer becomes an all-or-nothing replacement, many people won't find it useful or enjoyable. Also, with a good modular design we can add piece by piece what we think to be necessary, and in the other places the installer would just tell the user things out of the install howto or not even that. That way we avoid overdoing it - writing things our audience doesn't really need. -- Dan Armak Gentoo Linux developer (KDE) Matan, Israel Public GPG key: Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project Scott Koch <scootersmk@×××××××××.net>