From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:13:59
1 foser <foser@g.o> said:
2
3 > On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 01:07, Tiemo Kieft wrote:
4 > > > 3. Gtk2: I am thinking that this may not be the best interface to use.
5 > > > How will this fair with those putting gentoo on very slow/old machines.
6 > > > Also for those doing an install through ssh would not be able to benifit
7 > > > from this. Maybe curses would be the way to go? There are already many
8 > > > tools that are already made for curses(menuconfig, ufed, net-setup). Or
9 > > > heck maybe there could be support for both.
10 > >
11 > > This actually is one of the requirements for the installer as well as
12 > > the config tools. It was discussed in the desktop-research meeting. We
13 > > really want to support both.
14 >
15 > I think it's a pretty silly idea to support multiple backends. Afaic
16 > it's about a GUI installer, so ncurses isn't really what we are after.
17 > You always will get compared to other installers which aren't curses
18 > anymore.
19
20 Can you give me example of installer that aren't ncurses anymore?
21 redhat, mandrake, debian, slackware have all ncurses/newt option
22
23 > The people installing over SSH aren't the new users a GUI
24 > installer is targeted at anyway.
25 >
26 > As far as the choice for a widget set, gtk2 seems logical to me. It may
27 > be allegedly slow on older systems, but we're talking about 3 buttons on
28 > a screen here. And if the installer is considered slow, well what's
29 > gonna happen when someone does a GRP install of stable GNOME or KDE.
30 > That's gonna be real slow desktop-ing.
31
32 agreed on that. gtk2 or qt or whatever, just need to choose. I prefere gtk2
33 because of the language binding possibilities, but it's only my opinion
36 dams
39 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list