From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo-desktop howto fix-up
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:26:19
On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 00:26, munky@××××××.com wrote:
> We should > describe the window managers and state pros and cons about them.
This is fairly subjective. I personally think we should only be mentioning the major DE's (GNOME,KDE & maybe XFCE) as complete solutions. The aim should be to inform of what is useful to a big majority, not to cover everything out there.
> In > addition, I would like to put in additional help for other programs. I > think it would be fair to include setup and configuration information for: > Xine, Mplayer, K3b, xcdroast, xchat, gaim, open office,...etc. We should > try to cover every category of applications used for the end-user and > provide at least two choices for both.
And make it even more of an information overloaded document ? Again it should cover the basics. Individual applications should not need to be described, they usually need no additional configuration (the ones you mention here shouldn't at least) and are fairly straightforward anyway. Besides that they usually come with some form of GUI help, a more important task i think would be to make the available help consistently accessible (like Yelp tries to do in gnome). A list of suggestions in the spirit of 'well you got your basic desktop now, check these out if you want more' i could live with. But this would again be a subjective list and probably quickly out of date. - foser -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo-desktop howto fix-up Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>