From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] One research problem we could research
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:31:44
1 On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 20:00, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > Well, actually the ttf fonts are the best looking on my system (yes and non-AA
3 > in the sizes 8-17 as I don't like fuzzy fonts). I agree that bitmap fonts
4 > give better results, but only if they are not scaled. What also goes wrong
5 > sometimes is ps fonts.
6
7 You shouldn't scale bitmaps.. i mean _quality_ bitmaps, where there's
8 proper bitmaps for every size.
9
10 > They have to, if say, the desktop-guide would give that information it would
11 > save them (and me, as my girlfriend wants to be able to read and write
12 > Chinese (simplified)) a lot of headaches.
13
14 Nah, much to dense for a desktop-guide. An extra doc referenced ok i can
15 see that, but this should be optional info. For a normal user the
16 defaults should do.
17
18 Documentation is only as good as it is thin, see the current install
19 docs for how it gets out of hand. In my opinion there's way too much
20 unneeded cruft in there, all these little notes and subsections make it
21 less and less usable. We should beware of that phenomenon in another
22 important user guide.
23
24 > And the same fonts are chosen for the same name. fontconfig plays it's own
25 > little role, just as the core font protocol does. And pango and qt as
26 > wrappers around the font system.
27
28 Only fontconfig and freetype influence font rendering. And fontconfig
29 probably plays the major role in seting things up.
30
31 - foser
35 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list