From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Cc: frog683@×××××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] New Portage GUI Proposal
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:31:37
1 munky@××××××.com said:
2
3 > /*Idea for new project known as PortageUI to be a front end to Portage*/
4 >
5 > Portage or commonly known as 'emerge' is the powerful package system of
6 > Gentoo. Gentoo's success is directly related to the quality of Portage.
7 > Portage has the ability to find sources, compile, and install the
8 > binaries. It can also update all programs and keep your system up to date.
9 > Portage consists of one command 'emerge' with _many_ arguments to> put it
10 > in. For the n00b, remembering and executing all of the correct arguments
11 > can be a bit difficult. A GUI program called Kportage had been created a
12 > while back. It was written in QT and had many bugs. The idea of Kportage
13 > is great but the actual implementation was not. New ideas have been formed
14 > in an attempt to provide users with the ease and power> of controlling
15 > portage through a GUI.
16
17 It's a great idea, and needed project. I think you should also contect the
18 portage manager, to explain how you'll interact with portage, and if he has
19 tricks to do things better. I also think that you hsould take a look at some
20 portage API projects that have emerged (!), namely gentoolkit frontends.
23 > PortageUI is an idea at this point and will remain such for some time.Some
24 > basic decisions have been decided as for the languages of> PortageUI. The
25 > head devs (Munky, Frog) are big fans of C, not its offspring C++. Kportage
26 > had been written in C++ and we feel that it is not the best language for
27 > the job. We initially planed on using ansi C for this project, but Python
28 > has also been suggested. Both the devs of this project are quite weak in
29 > Python, which may influence our decision. We also plan to use GTK2.
30 > Suggestions concerning language and toolkit choice are most welcome.
31
32 my opinion: C, C++, java programs are long to develop, and difficult to
33 maintain. Scripting language are easy to maintain, easier to be retaken by
34 other devs, and faster to develop. So I prefer perl, python, ruby, over C C++
35 java. Now, python is easier to learn than perl, despite the fact that it seems
36 less powerfulle, and that it's slower. But we don't care for a frontend
37 application. Ruby is nice, but even slower than python, and have less libraries
38 available. So the good choici would be imho python. Now for the gui, you can
39 use gtk2, it's a good choice for me, but qt is also perfect for the job.
42 > Kportage really only provided a GUI for portage not adding on any new
43 > ideas. There are many things that users do with portage, or can do with
44 > portage that they do. For instance, the easiest way to keep your system up
45 > to date is "emerge -u world". This will update all applications that have
46 > been installed using portage, including your kernel libraries. This is
47 > very important for those users whom don't update single applications.
48 > Thus, it seems optimal to integrate PortageUI with cron and have various
49 > tasks set. Such as a weekly "emerge sync" and a monthly "emerge -u world".
50 > This would help to keep your system up to date and secure.
51
52 That's a good idea.
55 > In reference to the application of the GUI itself, considering the>
56 > _great_ size of the portage tree, it seems fit to use a database to keep>
57 > track of the data. The best database to use would probably be that of
58 > Postgresql. The database can hold a list of each ebuild and various data
59 > for it. This data will include: installed version, current version,
60 > dependencies, as well as its README, and other docs. In addition, the db
61 > will hold specific categorizes that the ebuild fits in. The ebuilds are
62 > already sorted in a directory structure, but in reality that is not as
63 > user friendly or easy to understand as simple categories. The user will
64 > have the ability to modify the categories to their own interpretation.
65
66 I'm strongly against asking the user to install (and configure) a postgresql db
67 on his system. You should look at sqlite, a sql relational database which is
68 light fast, and fits in one single file, so no installation, no configuration
69 required. The drawbacks are that it'ssingle user, and less optimized for very
70 large database. But this application will be single user, and the database
71 won't be big, so sqlite is the perfect candidate imo.
74 dams
77 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list