From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:19:20
Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> I think we might order the packages on their leaf status. you normally > wouldn't want to select glibc as a package to include. If you want X you > normally just select your windowmanager etc. Maybe we could even provide some > grouping. > > Paul
This is one of those situations that's bound to be a little messy. If we group packages ala gnome desktop, kde desktop, office utilities, server daemons, etc. we're begging to upset users. I'm also thinking that presenting them with a portage tree and telling them to go to town might be tough too (for new users). I don't know what the right answer is here. Personally, I would like to be able to select individual packages and have it grey out the dependencies as I do so. But that's me. -- Eric Sammer Gentoo Linux