From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Cc: foser <foser@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo-desktop howto fix-up
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:15:59
Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o> said:

> On Thursday 20 November 2003 11:31 pm, foser wrote: >> I would even take it a step further and scrap the refresh rate mumbo >> jumbo. We have Xrandr and related tools now, X configuration should be >> kept to a basic guide to get it running decently. Then a more extensive >> xfree guide could be done and linked to for additional (expert) >> configuration needs. > Why not just detect X configuration at boot and save stuff like preferred > resolution etc somewhere else? > Of course, there might be a problem if the autodetection doesn't work, but we > could probably fallback to VGA so the user can manually configure it.
That's the way to go imo, but a desktop guide should be usefull for the cases where you are in trouble, that is when the detection doesn't work. I remember installing my second gentoo on a running linux, mounting stage1 cd iso in loopback. So no boot, no detection. Of course it's unusual, but if the guide can be some kind of reference, I think it's a usefull feature. -- dams -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo-desktop howto fix-up "Gerald J. Normandin Jr." <gerrynjr@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo-desktop howto fix-up Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>