From: Brandon Hale <tseng@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Desktop Linux Consortium membership
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:58:17
On (12/02/03 01:20), Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o > From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> > Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 01:20:27 -0500 > Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Desktop Linux Consortium membership > Reply-To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o > > I think it's a good idea for Gentoo to apply to become a member of the > Desktop Linux Consortium [1]. Thoughts?
I dont see why not, I would participate.
> Here's the membership description for that class: > > Associated Members > This class of membership is reserved for the Linux community > organizations that are the heart and soul of the Linux development > process. This includes organizations such as the Debian project, KDE, > Gnome, and many more. Membership in this class will require approval by > the membership committee of the consortium. Associated Members have the > right to nominate 2 of the 11 directors and have access to Consortium > forums and membership events. > > There is no cost for Associated Members.
This group seems to be the driving force behind actual developments. However in this structure corporate sponsors (the guys that fork over alot of money) hold 7/11 (>½) of votes. Not sure I like how that works... I can see giving incentives for sponsorship, but at the same time why take the power from the people who really know the issues regarding Linux on the desktop.