From: Steve Barnhart <sbarnhart@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer's Target user group
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:26:54
-----Original Message-----
From: foser [mailto:foser@g.o]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 7:48 PM
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 20:14, Scott Koch wrote:
> I think the target should be users that are "new to Gentoo" switching > from other linux distributions.
Yes maybe, probably coming from MDK, RH or Suse, those are usually pretty fresh linux users. What i really meant to say was that the people wanting a GUI installer are the same ones that have little actual linux knowledge (the 'i want it to be simple and just work' people) and not the more geekish crowd that Gentoo on the other side attracts. Those like their installs as it is, with the full power that comes with it. They don't want spiffy UI tools that only hide whats really going on. So you only have to target the first group. [Steve Barnhart] I particularly disagree with that on some parts. I like gentoo's install right now, its fast and so well documented its not really hard at all. On the other hand I like good looking things :-). I like a nice look and brand every once in a while and I think a good gui installer would look nice. The look is sometimes what attracts me to a distribution or one software choice over another (I know this sounds stupid). I mean if one piece of software sucks really badbut has a nice gui then I won't use it but if 2 r equal I'll choose the better looking one. - foser -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list