From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] definitions draft
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:32:06
On Tuesday 28 October 2003 18:25, dams@×××.fr wrote:
> * Discussion/planning phase > - throw a description here, verify validity > - preliminary discussion here and/or irc > - APPROVAL 1 : does it worth it to handle it (see below) > > * Prototype phase [no strict deadlines/roadmap, but should be not very > long] - Prepare a testcase or a little code snippet to let everybody play > with possible solution. > - With the help of the other insterested in (small groups or everybody) > let's try to get a fully working program. >
I think that we need to be careful here. This "solution" should not be more than 2 hours of work. Other work needs to be done after the glep has been written and issued.
> * Revision phase [strict deadline] > - add a new task : at least some time to research further (with a > milestone), and some time to find a solution (with milestone). > - assign people to the task, set up deadlines > - all this should be well written in the xml project pages. > - APPROVAL 2 (see below) >
I think this should go together with the writing of a GLEP. This glep should also contain the key parts of the discussions of the discussion phase including problem identification (what is the problem), problem acceptation (is this really a problem), problem exploration (what are the causes and possible solutions to the problem) , proposed solution and the merrits of this particular solution. The latter of course from later discussions.
> * Project tracking > - once the planning phase end with approval (see below), the thing should > end up to a GLEP > - the d-r site should host a little summary of every project with phases > and timings once we are in the Proto phase.
I think the proto phase can better be called the problem exploration phase. Its purpose to refine the problem and find possible solutions.
> > Decisions > --------- > We'll try to work together in a friendly manner, so no use to be strict for > every points. Nevertheless, rules are still usefull for extreme situations. > > APPROVAL 1 : at the end of the Revision phase, we should try to come to an > agreement that we should handle the case. > > APPROVAL 2 : I think it'd good to warn people outside of -desktop-research > at this point, like -desktop leader. > > > What do you think?
I think we might need to add a few lines about the necessity to make sure that the solution is acceptable to the developers at large. I believe that glep integration is very important to that respect.
> > As soon as we finish writing this draft, we'll put it officially on the > project page, and we'll be (at last) able to begin the Real Work :)
certainly. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage:

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] definitions draft dams@×××.fr