From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] desktop problems
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:46:33
Here is a repetition of what could describe a desktop problem that fall into
our field of research. What do you think?

For me, a desktop problem is not always a problem wich involve window
managers, or graphical interface.

I would tend to say that desktop means workstation for private use, client
side. That is, everything UI oriented. That includes windows manager, but also
config programs, installation problems, software installations, and simple
(client-side personal use) system managment. By client side I mean everything
that does not use servers. So setting internet/lan connection is desktop, but
setting a ftp server is not.

In addition, bringing hardware to work for home user is also part of the