From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Future focus area for the project
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:07:13
1 Hi all.
2
3 We discussed on the IRC channel today. One of the things that came up
4 was which major problem area we should try to tackle, that is, which
5 setting are we focusing on?
6
7 The alternatives we came up with was
8
9 ) Corporate desktop
10
11 Typically, one fairly trained administrator has full control over every
12 desktop, and does all the program installation and upgrade. Thus, we must
13 consider admin tools, deployment to many (nearly) identical machines,
14 security and stability.
17 ) Home user/End-user
18
19 In this setting, the ease-of-use would be the primary problem. We want
20 as much as possible be plug'n'play. If a user inserts a new hw device,
21 it should just work, or a menu should pop up (ideally, a tray icon should
22 start blinking), so that the user can start configuring the device.
23
24 In this case, we must take a lot of care to shield the novice from the
25 iron, and make certain it's hard to break the system. At the same time,
26 it should be possible/easy to fix/diagnose a problem for savvy users.
27
28 We do not want a "dumbing down", but we want "easy to use".
31 ) Embedded systems
32
33 Not really mentioned, but as Gentoo is meta-distro, we should perhaps
34 spend some time thinking if it would be a good idea to spend time
35 adding tools for people who deploy desktops in PDAs, old intel hw
36 (think 3rd world countries, poor schools in the US)
39 We realise that we don't have enough manpower to solve everything, so
40 we should probably start by picking a somewhat suitably sized problem and
41 attacking it.
42
43 Examples of "suitably sized problems" may be
44 ) Printing for home users
45 ) Deployment of Gentoo on 50+ identical desktops
46 ) Proper plug'n'play support for USB devices
47 ) Nicer package upgrade and installation
48 - I want a directory of packages that the user can peruse before
49 installing. In that directory, I want for each package:
50 - a screenshot
51 - a long and thorough description, including license, deps
52 - a link to the package's home page
53 - a link to the package's currently open bugs, who's the
54 maintainer
55 - suggested accompanying packages
58 Kind regards,
59