From: Scott Koch <scootersmk@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer's Target user group
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:20:22
1 foser wrote:
2
3 >On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 20:14, Scott Koch wrote:
6 >>I think the target should be users that are "new to Gentoo" switching
7 >>from other linux distributions.
11 >Yes maybe, probably coming from MDK, RH or Suse, those are usually
12 >pretty fresh linux users. What i really meant to say was that the people
13 >wanting a GUI installer are the same ones that have little actual linux
14 >knowledge (the 'i want it to be simple and just work' people) and not
15 >the more geekish crowd that Gentoo on the other side attracts. Those
16 >like their installs as it is, with the full power that comes with it.
17 >They don't want spiffy UI tools that only hide whats really going on. So
18 >you only have to target the first group.
19 >
20 >- foser
23 >--
24 >gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list
29 Maybe saying Mdk, RH, Suse type users isn't the best description. There
30 is a vast range of skill levels amoung there users. Thinking back I
31 used mandrake without haveing a clue of how to do anything in linux. Is
32 this more the direction we are heading in. Have an easy but
33 customizable setup for computers to do mainly the basics (web, mail,
34 documents, multimedia, games?) in the fast gentoo way.
35
36 -Scott
40 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list