From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] One research problem we could research
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:39:32
1 On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 16:46, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Thursday 09 October 2003 16:31, foser wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Here you already have a problem, the perception of font quality differs
8 > > per-person and language. Some people really dislike AA (requires
9 > > different fonts to be good), others use different types of displays,
10 > > etc. And not latin language users usually know that they need extra
11 > > packs to have decent support, don't expect anything non-latin to look
12 > > good by default atm.
15 > I think that everyone agrees that ragged fonts are ugly (not rendered as
16 > intended). This happens mainly without aa. Personally I use aa for fonts that
17 > are outside the "normal range", so I would like that we try to make things
18 > look ok with both.
19
20 If you don't use AA you shouldn't be using TTF fonts, it's a whole
21 different setup. In one way i agree with users that in essence good
22 bitmap fonts are better for the desktop, but good bitmap fonts cost $$$.
23
24 > For non-latin, I think we should look into making clear what needs to be done
25 > for making it look good, which packages should be installed etc. Not all
26 > people who would use those fonts know that.
27
28 I believe they do, otherwise they're stuck with incomplete charsets or
29 characters from different packs with different look. Anyway, this is all
30 part of a much bigger picture.
31
32 > > Again this is mostly a personal thing and it currently also depends on
33 > > how you install xfree (this is in flux).
34 >
35 > We can at least identify the misrendered ones. (At least with -core, with qt,
36 > and with gtk2/pango). Those should render approximately the same, sometimes
37 > they don't. That might be fixable.
38
39 One and the same font renders the same everywhere, only config settings
40 influence this (well except for OO maybe).
41
42 - foser
46 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list