From: Tiemo Kieft <blubber@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:45:53
> we can do plugable applications. in GTK, you can plug an application in another > one. It's very simple to do. I'ts used in the mandrake control center, and > differently in the gnome control center. > > It's important to keep in mind that those config tools will be available in > console mode, where the gui takes a lot more space (newt/ncurses). So the > screen should be simple with only few gui widget to be able to display fine in > both mode. Or we do two seperate tools for each mode. There are technical > solutions to have one code that works in gtk and ncurses. Maybe the same exists > for other toolkits. Anyway it's maybe a little soon to talk about that
As you said, it is too soon to be talking about this. But I want to say this :). I think that the tools should be seperate, and that the tool itself should determine wether to use GTK or ncurses. Something like this could be used, if we use python: try: import gtk except RuntimeException, e: """ no gui, using ncurses """ ... An ofcourse we offer two options, for instance -g and -n to force GTK or ncurses (if available). Yet another argument against a precompiled language like c or c++ but it is really too soon to be talking about this :) Groeten, Tiemo -- Gentoo Linux Documentation developer & Desktop Research member Dutch Documentation: Desktop Research: blubber@g.o | Public key: Key fingerprint = 6749 CD77 B577 D615 4B3C A082 C430 0ACD E3E9 E3A6 -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list