From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Per-package USE descriptions
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 06:57:50
I'd like to propose that we add per-package USE flag descriptions to the package
pages on I can't tell you how many times I've sat
and wondered what effect a particular flag has on a particular package, and the
use.desc descriptions are much too brief to give any kind of useful detail. For

"What effect does USE="xml2" have on xfree?"
"Why does w3m need USE="imlib"?
"Why should I keep USE="berkdb"?

Other flags change meanings from package to package. USE="java" for gcc is for
java development. The same flag for mozilla is for java end-users.

I see the need to have some sort of USE listing on each package page that gives
human-readable descriptions that can be used to tell whether someone would want
a particular USE flag for a particular package. An extended package description
may by helpful as well.

While yes, this would take a lot of grunt-work, I think the value to Gentoo
users would be immeasurable. I'd also be more than happy to help.

Just my $0.02.

Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster []

Phone     [662-518-1636]