From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Per-package USE descriptions
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 06:57:50
1 I'd like to propose that we add per-package USE flag descriptions to the package
2 pages on http://packages.gentoo.org. I can't tell you how many times I've sat
3 and wondered what effect a particular flag has on a particular package, and the
4 use.desc descriptions are much too brief to give any kind of useful detail. For
5 example:
6
7 "What effect does USE="xml2" have on xfree?"
8 "Why does w3m need USE="imlib"?
9 "Why should I keep USE="berkdb"?
10
11 Other flags change meanings from package to package. USE="java" for gcc is for
12 java development. The same flag for mozilla is for java end-users.
13
14 I see the need to have some sort of USE listing on each package page that gives
15 human-readable descriptions that can be used to tell whether someone would want
16 a particular USE flag for a particular package. An extended package description
17 may by helpful as well.
18
19 While yes, this would take a lot of grunt-work, I think the value to Gentoo
20 users would be immeasurable. I'd also be more than happy to help.
21
22 Just my $0.02.
26 Joel Konkle-Parker
27 Webmaster [Ballsome.com]