From: "Pierre-François Gomez" <pf.gomez@××××.fr>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] New Portage GUI Proposal
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:13:19
1 At Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:30:29 +0100,
2 Hello,
3
4 dams@×××.fr wrote:
5 > available. So the good choici would be imho python. Now for the gui, you can
6 > use gtk2, it's a good choice for me, but qt is also perfect for the job.
7
8 I mostly agree with you, but about the gui, i'd like to add something that imho
9 should be taken into consideration.
10
11 Many users are using the shell but still want a nice UI. For example, i'm using
12 my gentoo box remotely most of the time (from my office workstation...), but i
13 really appreciate using Wanderlust for my mails : though i'm using it from a
14 secure shell, i still have a nice text-UI...
15
16 I know it's extra-work, and that it may not come at first, but could room be
17 made to allow someone (or maybe yourself) to easily add a text-UI at a later
18 stage ? Something like a core/ui architecture ?
19
20 > I'm strongly against asking the user to install (and configure) a postgresql db
21 > on his system.
22
23 So i am : imho, it really is too "overkill" a dependancy.
24
25 I don't have many knowledge concerning data management, but wouldn't berkdb be
26 a good choice, too ?
27
28 Anyway, it's really a good idea.
29