From: "Pierre-François Gomez" <pf.gomez@××××.fr>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] New Portage GUI Proposal
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:13:19
At Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:30:29 +0100,
Hello,

dams@×××.fr wrote:
> available. So the good choici would be imho python. Now for the gui, you can > use gtk2, it's a good choice for me, but qt is also perfect for the job.
I mostly agree with you, but about the gui, i'd like to add something that imho should be taken into consideration. Many users are using the shell but still want a nice UI. For example, i'm using my gentoo box remotely most of the time (from my office workstation...), but i really appreciate using Wanderlust for my mails : though i'm using it from a secure shell, i still have a nice text-UI... I know it's extra-work, and that it may not come at first, but could room be made to allow someone (or maybe yourself) to easily add a text-UI at a later stage ? Something like a core/ui architecture ?
> I'm strongly against asking the user to install (and configure) a postgresql db > on his system.
So i am : imho, it really is too "overkill" a dependancy. I don't have many knowledge concerning data management, but wouldn't berkdb be a good choice, too ? Anyway, it's really a good idea. Good luck in your initiative ! -- Pierre-François Gomez <pf.gomez@××××.fr> -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list