From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo-desktop howto fix-up
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:06:25
munky@××××××.com wrote:
> For the most part it isn't that bad. I do see the problems with narration > as the howto should be written in a professional matter not using "I". I > also think that we are limiting the user in his/her options. We should > describe the window managers and state pros and cons about them. In > addition, I would like to put in additional help for other programs. I > think it would be fair to include setup and configuration information for: > Xine, Mplayer, K3b, xcdroast, xchat, gaim, open office,...etc. We should > try to cover every category of applications used for the end-user and > provide at least two choices for both.
I strongly agree with this. The average desktop user uses all of the different types of applications listed above (not console mail readers and mtas, etc.). We should explain how such applications relate to one another (OpenOffice vs. KOffice, Mplayer vs. Xine, etc.) and how them how to set them up using the most common and desired options. -- Joel Konkle-Parker Webmaster [] Phone [+1 662-518-1636] E-mail [jjk3@×××××××.edu]