From: Kyle Smith <smithkm@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] closing this section
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:44:46
1 If g-d-r is terminated, what happens to the subprojects (specifically
2 the config tools)? Also dead, now that Gnome System Tools supports
3 Gentoo?
4
5 I kinda wish I'd hung around more on #gentoo-desktop-research and found
6 some ways to contribute. Of all the Gentoo projects this was always the
7 one that interested me the most as any results would probably have a big
8 impact on the day-to-day usability of Gentoo.
9
10 I think (Gentoo) desktop usability definitely has a way to go, although
11 as Adrian mentioned, I'm not sure where some of the projects belong --
12 as a Gentoo project or as a part of the various desktop environments
13 (Gnome / KDE). That seems like a question that would need to be
14 addressed.
15
16 To address Paul DV's point: would this project be more likely to succeed
17 if different developers that didn't have as many commitments were put to
18 work on it? Maybe a new round of recruitment or something similar to
19 drum up interest?
22 ks