From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] New Portage GUI Proposal
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:30:00
1 Pierre-François Gomez <pf.gomez@××××.fr> said:
2
3 > At Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:30:29 +0100,
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > dams@×××.fr wrote:
7 >> available. So the good choici would be imho python. Now for the gui, you can
8 >> use gtk2, it's a good choice for me, but qt is also perfect for the job.
9 >
10 > I mostly agree with you, but about the gui, i'd like to add something that imho
11 > should be taken into consideration.
12 >
13 > Many users are using the shell but still want a nice UI. For example, i'm using
14 > my gentoo box remotely most of the time (from my office workstation...), but i
15 > really appreciate using Wanderlust for my mails : though i'm using it from a
16 > secure shell, i still have a nice text-UI...
17 >
18 > I know it's extra-work, and that it may not come at first, but could room be
19 > made to allow someone (or maybe yourself) to easily add a text-UI at a later
20 > stage ? Something like a core/ui architecture ?
21
22 I like gtk especially for this extension project called Cursed Gtk. You have
23 nothing to change, only load a different library at runtime, and your
24 application runs in ncurses :)
25
26 http://zemljanka.sourceforge.net/cursed/screenshots/demo_rozdily.png
27 http://zemljanka.sourceforge.net/cursed/screenshots/gamma.png
30 >> I'm strongly against asking the user to install (and configure) a postgresql db
31 >> on his system.
32 >
33 > So i am : imho, it really is too "overkill" a dependancy.
34 >
35 > I don't have many knowledge concerning data management, but wouldn't berkdb be
36 > a good choice, too ?
37
38 berkdb cannot do sql, so you have very less power. But it's faster. sqlite does
39 worth the look, it's the ideal compromise between speed and powerfull (it
40 supports 95% sql)
43 dams
46 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list