From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] One research problem we could research
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:46:21

On Thursday 09 October 2003 16:31, foser wrote:
> > Here you already have a problem, the perception of font quality differs > per-person and language. Some people really dislike AA (requires > different fonts to be good), others use different types of displays, > etc. And not latin language users usually know that they need extra > packs to have decent support, don't expect anything non-latin to look > good by default atm. >
I think that everyone agrees that ragged fonts are ugly (not rendered as intended). This happens mainly without aa. Personally I use aa for fonts that are outside the "normal range", so I would like that we try to make things look ok with both. For non-latin, I think we should look into making clear what needs to be done for making it look good, which packages should be installed etc. Not all people who would use those fonts know that.
> Again this is mostly a personal thing and it currently also depends on > how you install xfree (this is in flux).
We can at least identify the misrendered ones. (At least with -core, with qt, and with gtk2/pango). Those should render approximately the same, sometimes they don't. That might be fixable.
> > > - check the fontconfig, xft configurations > > - list known software that doesn't use the good font systems. > > That is not something up to us really, i don't feel it is our duty to > make legacy applications look good, what matters to me is to get a > current desktop (KDE/GNOME/XFCE4) reasonably ok/consistent looking > fontwise (for as far as it isn't). >
I agree, with the exception that I think that core fonts should be at least reasonable.