From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] One research problem we could research
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:11:56
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 11:21, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> I have one thing we might opt to research (after we have the project > procedures done). We might want to look into making good-looking fonts > available standardly.
This is already being worked on, but we're waiting for some improvements in the xfree/fontconfig area to make this happen. It just isn't powerful enough at the moment. Anyway, this suggestion is very western centered, if you mess with defaults you might easily end up with weird results for non-western users.
> In a standard install esp. the helvetica and other adobe fonts are really > ugly. This should not be needed. Also we could try to make sure that the > fonts have exactly the same size as on windows in the browsers as there are > still webdesigners that work with font size assumptions for their layout.
You should install exactly the same fonts to have the same effect and thats also a question of installing windows fonts or not. KDE just has bad font defaults, helvetica everywhere is just a bad choice. Current fontconfig setups should solve most of these problems afaik.