From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:58:59
1 On Monday 26 January 2004 11:57, dams@g.o wrote:
2 > But before this distinction, I'd like your input about the global direction
3 > of the installer :
4 >
5 > - should it be minimalist : partitioning, network, install X if desktop
6 > oriented, and reboot. At first boot, have configuration tools + software
7 > manager (to install stuff) displayed. This is what I'd prefer, because
8 > there is no duplication, and you could call the config step after install.
9 >
10 > - should it be complete : partitioning, network, different installation
11 > groups, full config (net, users, security, server packages, printing,
12 > sound, ...)
13
14 For many configuration purposes it doesn't matter whether you've actually
15 booted this system or are in a chroot. You can offer to run the
16 configurator/package manager or reboot. (Or even integrate the installer and
17 configurator.) If eg a kernel driver is missing, things won't work but won't
18 be broken either; we just need to suggest to the user that he should reboot.
19
20 What if any things can't be configured normally when in a fully installed
21 chroot? Kernel drivers we don't provide in the install environment. And of
22 course if the env outside the chroot is eg a live system from another
23 partition, you probably don't want to mess with h/w settings. In most cases
24 though you shouldn't care whether you configure things before or after the
25 first reboot, esp. if you don't actually try to run them.
28 Dan Armak
29 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
30 Matan, Israel
31 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
32 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951