From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Final thoughts on PortageUI
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 20:49:59
munky@××××××.com wrote:
> It sounds to me that for the most part the ideas are liked. I would just > like to sum up the things said. > -Python is a good choice to use > -GTK2 is fine, and perhaps another UI (ncurses) should be available
gtk has a "cursed" backend already -> see dams e-mail
> -A user doesn't want to have to setup a db >
> With that said I only have two things to say. Firstly, I think we could > make Postgresql a dependancy and we can setup a file that will > automatically be set. After the program is installed, I hope to have a > brief shell script installer asking some questions perhaps there we can > have the user specify options for the db. I think that it is very easy to > get Postgresql to work.
sqlite suits better and there are already portage devs thinking about bdb and sql backend so we could ask them about. I'm against anything bigger.
> Any ideas as to where I should go from now > would be greatly appreciated!
Usually you split every task in subtask till they are simple enough to be addressed. EG: app->{front-end,back-end} | `=front-end->{ui-design,interface} | `=back-end->{portage-interface,private data(dbcache),other meaningful stuff,interface} ... If you like order you may start after the split process thinking about the interface part (which object will do that? which relation between them?) and then about filling the functional part. at least those are my suggestion, that may be good or bad for you. lu
-- Luca Barbato Developer Gentoo Linux -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list