From: dams@g.o
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:54:41
Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o> said:

> As most of you know, people have been looking into an official Gentoo > installer. There are a number of projects out there concentrating on different > areas, but there is an effort to bring them all together. The following > document covers the general situation and what should / will happen if all > interested parties are, well, interested and the details can be worked out. > > > > Please take a look and share any constructive comments and suggestions.
I like the document, thx for this. For the different architecture, I can test it on ppc on a regular basis. About server/desktop distinction, I think the default (suggested) packages installed does matter. But before this distinction, I'd like your input about the global direction of the installer : - should it be minimalist : partitioning, network, install X if desktop oriented, and reboot. At first boot, have configuration tools + software manager (to install stuff) displayed. This is what I'd prefer, because there is no duplication, and you could call the config step after install. - should it be complete : partitioning, network, different installation groups, full config (net, users, security, server packages, printing, sound, ...) I think it's interesting to think about that now wdyt ? -- dams -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list