From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:52:16
1 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> said:
2
3 > On Monday 26 January 2004 14:37, Eric Sammer wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Right. It should be (in my opinion) manual package selection by default.
6 > > This is what our (current) users seem to expect, myself included.
7 > > Working primarily with servers, having to choose from groups of packages
8 > > that, no doubt, will contain stuff I don't want in each one is
9 > > problematic and time consuming.
10 >
11 > I think we might order the packages on their leaf status. you normally
12 > wouldn't want to select glibc as a package to include. If you want X you
13 > normally just select your windowmanager etc. Maybe we could even provide some
14 > grouping.
15
16 The leaf list is a very good idea !
17
18 But actually, my concern is that I don't think it's something that is part of
19 the installation. This should be part of a portage frontend, that could be
20 called during installation (in chroot), or at first boot.
21
22 installation should (imho) install the base system, then reboot (or have a
23 complete chroot), to let the tasks to be done by configuration tools & portage
24 tools
27 dams
30 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list