From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] One research problem we could research
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:06:48
foser <foser@g.o> said:

> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 15:22, Paul de Vrieze wrote: >> If that is the only way then we might come to the conclusion that the best >> solution is to wait. I do think though that at least good documentation might >> be another solution. > > Documenting fonts is like setting defaults : a disaster, what you like > on your monitor looks pretty bad on another persons LCD, etc. It's so > much a personal thing that setting up defaults will always upset some > users. And should such a document support legacy font support (xfs, xft1 > etc. ?). I guess one could set up a document describing what is possible > in configuring xft2/fontconfig.
If I see correctly, the things that makes ugly fonts : - bad looking fonts - missing fonts (so it uses not suited ones) - badly configured xft*/fontconfig - software not using last freetype/xft ... ( feel free to add reasons if I missed som) So, to clarify, we could : - run some test to see if fonts are ugly in common use in different languages (I'll do some test cause I have a fresh gentoo) - go through default available fonts (after having emerged kde and gnome), and list the ugliest ones - check the fontconfig, xft configurations - list known software that doesn't use the good font systems. Whith that done we'll be able to see where the problems are, wnd decide if we want to : - wait - try to get new fonts (many additional set of fonts by default) - change font configuration - change software so that they use latest technology (I have seen in the past some patchs to make this and that use freetype2, I think OpenOffice had such a patch, but I thougt it was in the main now) In addition, we can think of making font managment easy for the user. (I wrote the font managment tool for mandrakeLinux, he had some working features, but uses old font tools).
btw do we have i18n/fonts gurus @ gentoo?