From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] definitions draft
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:25:20
dams@×××.fr said:

Field of Interest

An issue is related to the desktop if it is : client side or end-user oriented
workstation use. Basically, that's everything UI oriented, plus hardware
management, installation problems as well as simple system management.
Basically, if it is client side and doesn't use servers, it is our

setting internet/lan connection is desktop, but setting a ftp server is not.
setting sound card, graphic card is desktop

Problems Resolution

* Discussion/planning phase
- throw a description here, verify validity
- preliminary discussion here and/or irc
- APPROVAL 1 : does it worth it to handle it (see below)

* Prototype phase [no strict deadlines/roadmap, but should be not very long]
- Prepare a testcase or a little code snippet to let everybody play with
  possible solution.
- With the help of the other insterested in (small groups or everybody) let's
try to get a fully working program.

* Revision phase [strict deadline]
- add a new task : at least some time to research further (with a milestone),
  and some time to find a solution (with milestone).
- assign people to the task, set up deadlines
- all this should be well written in the xml project pages.
- APPROVAL 2 (see below)

* Project tracking
- once the planning phase end with approval (see below), the thing should end
  up to a GLEP
- the d-r site should host a little summary of every project with phases and
timings once we are in the Proto phase.

We'll try to work together in a friendly manner, so no use to be strict for
every points. Nevertheless, rules are still usefull for extreme situations.

APPROVAL 1 : at the end of the Revision phase, we should try to come to an
agreement that we should handle the case.

APPROVAL 2 : I think it'd good to warn people outside of -desktop-research at
this point, like -desktop leader.

What do you think?

As soon as we finish writing this draft, we'll put it officially on the project
page, and we'll be (at last) able to begin the Real Work :)