From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer's Target user group
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:45:56
1 On Saturday 24 January 2004 01:47, foser wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 20:14, Scott Koch wrote:
3 > > I think the target should be users that are "new to Gentoo" switching
4 > > from other linux distributions.
5 >
6 > Yes maybe, probably coming from MDK, RH or Suse, those are usually
7 > pretty fresh linux users. What i really meant to say was that the people
8 > wanting a GUI installer are the same ones that have little actual linux
9 > knowledge (the 'i want it to be simple and just work' people) and not
10 > the more geekish crowd that Gentoo on the other side attracts. Those
11 > like their installs as it is, with the full power that comes with it.
12 > They don't want spiffy UI tools that only hide whats really going on. So
13 > you only have to target the first group.
14
15 I personally probably would use the installer for installing. I really have no
16 desire for entering all the commands on the command line while a click on a
17 button -> system installed works great with exactly the same result.
18
19 What might be an alternative would be a splitscreen installer that on the top
20 of the screen offers a roadmap and a description on what to do. On the bottom
21 is a commandline on which the actual commands can be given.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze
27 Gentoo Developer