From: Tiemo Kieft <blubber@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:03:59
> > Since noone seems to have any comment on this, we can start with step 2. > > We have to decide which tools are actually going to be designed. I > > propose the following, comments are, naturally, welcome :) : > > > > 1) Runlevel editor: to add and remove services from runlevels, and to > > start, stop and restart services. I actually made this, some time ago, > > screenie can be found at: > > Although I made it > > myself completely, it's based on redhats tool. > > This seems quite obvious to me
Yes, well redhat's editor is very nice, ie the GUI. It just a waste of time to come up with a new gui :). That's what opensource is all about isn't it?
> What exactly do you mean by this. A network interface configurator?
A tool you can use to configure your network connection. So it basically should edit /etc/conf.d/net, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf and add the appropriate links to /etc/init.d/.
That's more someting to think about when we reach step 3. But it certainly would be nice :).
> > 4) User administration tool: to administrate local users. > > Gentoo is for this not different to any other distro. While we might want to > create a superior user editing tool with say kerberos and ldap support, I > don't think it should have priority. We could of course just addapt a general > one to get the same look-and-feel.
True, we might as well borrow redhat's tool. And later on, we can extend it to support for instance ldap. Again, opensource rules :) Groeten, Tiemo. -- Gentoo Linux Documentation developer & Desktop Research member Dutch Documentation: Desktop Research: blubber@g.o | Public key: Key fingerprint = 6749 CD77 B577 D615 4B3C A082 C430 0ACD E3E9 E3A6 -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>