From: Gytis Raciukaitis <raciuk@××××××××××.lt>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:57:46
1 hi,
2
3 > > First of all let's decide what level of tools we need. All the hackers
4 > > outthere will be using good ol' "vi some.conf" method, but for new users
5 > > these tools and the ease of use might be a critical point in choosing
6 > > Gentoo.
7 >
8 > For me the tools should be helpfull in daytoday administration of gentoo. I
9 > don't think we should target newbees. When things are a bit more complicated
10 > it forces people to think first, and then press the button. This does not
11 > mean that things should be overcomplicated. It just means that the tool
12 > should not make decisions for you (like the rest of gentoo tries to avoid
13 > that). Not making decisions for the user means to me that a configuration
14 > tool should aim at supporting every configuration possible and especially
15 > should never ever preclude the use of alternative configuration tools (ever
16 > tried to configure cups with the redhat tool? they conveniently forgot the
17 > privileged port option, so you cannot use the tool at all, but they do put
18 > many warnings against not editing the file)
19 >
20 > Paul
21
22 well that would result in having two projects: gentoo-administration-
23 tools and gentoo-config-tools :))
26 Gytis Raciukaitis <raciuk@××××××××××.lt>