From: munky@××××××.com
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer idea..
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 02:54:57
1 After you open the box, you stick the heavily
2 decorated cd in the disc drive as you boot up. A graphical interface with
3 pleasing and comforting colors greet the user. The user moves his mouse to
4 the proper buttons to start the install process. The user is provided with
5 various help in the install. The user is guided throughout the install to
6 achieve success.
7
8 This is a bit of a description of what a Linux
9 distribution installer should be like. I wasn't talking about any disto
10 specifically, but I think some of the major n00b distros fit in that
11 description. Gentoo is by far the most powerful and useful of the distros
12 available. Right now, I feel that the distro is aimed at users with a
13 great deal more experience with Linux.
14
15 There are many different types of Linux installs.
16 The first being Gentoo, which more or less lacks an install. All it has is
17 a basic live environment which contains the commands and programs to
18 install the system yourself. The next is that of an ncurses install, this
19 is seen in both FreeBSD and Debian (last time I used it). The next type is
20 reflecting that of Mandrake and Red Hat. The final type is really
21 different being like SuSE. It is a fully usable distro with the ability to
22 be installed (much like a GUI version of the Gentoo install system).
23
24 In order to optimally get users to feel comfortable
25 as well as in control of the install is to not limit them to one option.
26 Meaning, whatever happens we should still leave the standard and current
27 Gentoo install for more advanced users. I will now describe my plans for
28 an installer as follows. I am only stating some general ideas that will
29 only apply to Gentoo. I am not make anything that would require a specific
30 language or arch.
31
32 The first option the user will have would be to do
33 a completely manual install (the current one) or to do the more automated
34 install mirroring that of Mandrake or RH.
35
36 Since we are not changing the manual install, I
37 will pretend that we picked the automated install. Not that ncurses is
38 bad, but if we are going for the best we are going to want to stay away
39 from ncurses. The alternative to ncurses is setting up an X system with a
40 complete GUI install. That is not too easy on the programming nor the
41 space.
42
43 The other thing that the new user will detest is
44 that of the extended waiting period to compile. On a slower CPU, the
45 install could take a day at least. Gentoo is known for its speed and high
46 performance due to the compiled programs. I propose that the user will be
47 able to control the exact content that is compiled. Bare with me as I
48 elaborate. In the install,the installer will detect the internet
49 connection, and the CPU speed. With the packages that the user selects and
50 the statistics of the users system, it can calculate times required to
51 install. Meaning, lets say I have a 500mhz system with a DSL line, I want
52 to install a GUI system with KDE. With that, the installer will give me
53 the options of compiling the core components and will take xxx time, and
54 compile the core components and the programs which will take xxx time,
55 lastly one can compile everything which ill take xxx time. Of course the
56 time taken for each of he different options will increase. With this said
57 and done, the user can have a partially optimized system and doesn't have
58 to wait the great time waiting.
59
60 Once packages are selected, and installation
61 methods are chosen the installation can continue. Media choice can differ
62 depending on if you are installing pure source, pure binary, or a hybrid
63 install. I guess we can have multiple cds available; binaries, source and
64 live. In addition I guess we can have the installer download specific
65 binaries and sources on servers.
66
67 The next step is the pre-install. We need to partition the drives. This
68 can be done in a number of ways, the simplest being by initially greping
69 the dmesg for 'hd'. In doing that we can have the user select which hd
70 they want, then to retrieve further info we use “df” and “cfdisk”. To do
71 the partitioning we will probably want to use “dd” and “fdisk”.
72 Once we actually have the drive setup, the package roundup will begin. If
73 the user is doing a remote install, all the packages are stored in /tmp.
74 Once we have all the files we need we will start compiling and / or
75 configuring. We must have progress indicators and information
76 concurrently.
77
78 After the compiling and installing has completed, we must customize the
79 system. Set date, time, time zone. Set root password, and create a user.
80 The user can add special things like printers, video drivers, and sound
81 drivers.
82
83 Once the system is done installing and configuring we must make it
84 bootable. We will autodetect the other OS's on the system by scanning the
85 hd's. A boot configuration will be created and the user will be asked to
86 confirm it.
87
88 At this point in time, the user is happy with a fully installed Gentoo
89 Linux system. All of my ideas are simply that, ideas. I wrote this up
90 while sitting in English class, bored out of my mind. If there are any
91 questions on specific things regarding anything I've said I will clarify
92 them.
93
94 -Dovid Kopel (munky)
95