From: Brandon Hale <tseng@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Report of the desktop-research meeting.
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:53:38
1 On (01/20/04 14:47), foser wrote:
2 >
3 > Tseng sees the real desktop issues as secondary, while the installer is
4 > not a desktop thing as such (you never see it beyond your install). I
5 > personally think such a vast project (it is a lot) is really beyond the
6 > scope of this team and at least is not a good way to start defining what
7 > this team is supposed to do. You yourself imply that any installer
8 > release up to at least 2004.1 is very unlikely, I'm afraid it's gonna
9 > suck resources from places where _the desktop_ needs them.
10
11 Installalling a desktop is a major part of the use experience between distributions. Having a GUI installer is what I see to the the most requested feature from our users, who imo should have a large drive in our development.
12 Also, I simply asked for desktop research to discuss this topic at the meeting,
13 they chose it as a topic for further review without me present. I asked it to
14 be clear that I was not aiming for the actual coding of the installer as an immediate atainable goal, this has happened and failed several times already.
15
16 What I asked is for this excellent research team to draw up clear expectations for the installer, what we want it to do, and create a roadmap for realistic completion. This will allow us to find the skilled resources needed to reach milestones, rather than isolated developers w/ their own incompatible visions of the installer.
17
18 I believe this matches the creed of the group, in fact. Create realistic plans for a project, an idea of how it could be done, and detail this completely in a new GLEP. This is simply a first step in a Gentoo-wide installer project.
19
20 WRT the menu system:
21 I believe this is also a very good initiative, and its scope and goals have already been sufficiently laid out. There is little "research" left to be done here, what is needed is approval and implementation. Spyderous and myself will be reviewing this GLEP soon, and I am fairly confident that it will be approved and we will push for *optional* implementation in various desktop projects.
22
23 Thanks for your time,
24 --tseng
27 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list