From: Fabien Fivaz <fabien.fivaz@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] XFCE4 as a desktop environment
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:59:51
1 foser a écrit :
2
3 >>ehm, inclusion just after release, dunno if thats a good thing anyway.
4 >>It could be proposed if it shows some maturity i suppose. From my
5 >>personal experience i still ran into several bugs and lacking ebuilds or
6 >>descriptions, annoyances that don't make it newbie friendly imho (if not
7 >>only because it lacks the windows look).
10 Well, you are right. I mean that it would easily be possible to create a
11 sort of metapackage like the gnome or kde packages that would incorpore
12 things like an editor (gedit), file manager (the one that is incorporate
13 in xfce4 is quite strange) and other basic stuff bundled with xfce4 and
14 also some desktop enhancement (icons for the basic stuff already in
15 place, for instance). Then I really think it would be great for newbies
16 with little computer ressources. I still think that KDE, especially, is
17 bundled with such unusefull stuff, i.e. stuff that I'm never using. For
18 example, why does KDE come with three different text editors (kwrite,
19 kedit and kate) ? Are there many people out there that use the three,
20 each for a different use ? Who uses kedit ? But it is still bundled !
21
22 Fabien
26 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list