From: munky@××××××.com
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Final thoughts on PortageUI
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:06:09
It sounds to me that for the most part the ideas are liked. I would just
like to sum up the things said.
-Python is a good choice to use
-GTK2 is fine, and perhaps another UI (ncurses) should be available
-A user doesn't want to have to setup a db

With that said I only have two things to say. Firstly, I think we could
make Postgresql a dependancy and we can setup a file that will
automatically be set. After the program is installed, I hope to have a
brief shell script installer asking some questions perhaps there we can
have the user specify options for the db. I think that it is very easy to
get Postgresql to work.

Now that the idea is out, my question is where should I start? As I have
stated I am relatively weak in Python so at this point in time I am
reading O'Reilly's "Learning Python" and focusing on the class structure.
I have written up a short document on the main classes used and what they
will contain. I've done _many_ small projects myself, but never have I
done a huge project like this. Any ideas as to where I should go from now
would be greatly appreciated!

-Dovid Kopel