From: munky@××××××.com
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Final thoughts on PortageUI
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:06:09
1 It sounds to me that for the most part the ideas are liked. I would just
2 like to sum up the things said.
3 -Python is a good choice to use
4 -GTK2 is fine, and perhaps another UI (ncurses) should be available
5 -A user doesn't want to have to setup a db
6
7 With that said I only have two things to say. Firstly, I think we could
8 make Postgresql a dependancy and we can setup a file that will
9 automatically be set. After the program is installed, I hope to have a
10 brief shell script installer asking some questions perhaps there we can
11 have the user specify options for the db. I think that it is very easy to
12 get Postgresql to work.
13
14 Now that the idea is out, my question is where should I start? As I have
15 stated I am relatively weak in Python so at this point in time I am
16 reading O'Reilly's "Learning Python" and focusing on the class structure.
17 I have written up a short document on the main classes used and what they
18 will contain. I've done _many_ small projects myself, but never have I
19 done a huge project like this. Any ideas as to where I should go from now
20 would be greatly appreciated!
23 -Dovid Kopel
24 -=mUnky=-
25