From: "Philippe Lafoucrière" <lafou@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Framework
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 07:26:07
I'd like to propose TwistedMatrix as portage-ng dev framework. Twisted is an
asynchrone (event driven) network framework, written in python. It should
allow us to :

- Make portage-ng a real server (which could be run via /etc/init.d/...)
- Make portage-ng modulable
- Make portage-np portable (twisted is avaible, like python, on linux / BSD /
windows / macos).
- Make async query to the package base (which should be in a small relational
DB system (like sqlite ?).
- Manage roles / security
- Easy write guis apps (even webapps with woven).
- use the twisted unit test framework, with a build bot (greatly improve the
quality of the developped product).
- use plug-ins for portage (twisted has a plugin system).
- Send portage events with various protocols (irc / mail / im / etc. ->
twisted supports a LOT of protocols, and they are easy to implement).

- And I surely forget some really cool features.

I'd like to be in the dev team if you choose to use twisted. I've started an
app to manage portage (current) with woven (just started the projet, so it's
prepreprealpha stuff ;p ) :