From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:33:13
1 Dan Armak wrote:
2 > From the linked file:
3 > - The same flexibility as the current manual process with NO loss of
4 > any of the options (custom partitioning, file system type selection,
5 > individual package selections, etc.). If any option, no matter how
6 > seemingly esoteric, is removed, the community will (rightfully)
7 > reject the project in its entirety.
8 >
9 > AFAICS, the only truly encompassing solution would be to provide an interface
10 > of sorts to a console. The user could view and edit commands generated by the
11 > installer, see their raw output, pause operation and insert commands of his
12 > own, etc.
13
14 While I believe that being able to pause between steps and drop to a
15 shell is a useful feature (especially for those learning), I don't think
16 it's absolutely required. What I mean by same flexibility is to allow
17 for individual package selection, file system type selection, custom
18 partitioning schemes, and other things we get to do during the current
19 installs. Some of the installers I've used in the past (thinking of YaST
20 from SuSE) have allowed for such things without being overly cumbersome
21 to the user. The console installer could, for instance, drop the user
22 into cfdisk for custom partitioning (just an example) while the gtk
23 client can use a gtk table with very little custom control work to do
24 the same.
25
26 Someone (klieber, maybe) suggested a console view to display what hte
27 installer was actually doing which might not be a bad idea. The Mac OS X
28 installer has a "view log" menu item that displays just about
29 everything it's doing down to detected disks and the like. I think
30 something like this might be good. The console install can do the same
31 by supplying an option to switch to a log view. It's all pretty open ended.
32
33 > If he wanted to use something not yet provided by the installer,
34 > he'd just tell it to skip a step and do it manually.
35
36 That's also interesting.
37
38 > What do you think?
39
40 I think it raises some good points and ideas. A console view type thing
41 might be good for education and interjecting commands during phases of
42 installation.
43
44 Thanks for your comments.
45 --