From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Desktop - Proposal
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:59:20
Tiemo Kieft <blubber@g.o> said:

> On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 14:31, dams@×××.fr wrote: > > what about a special tool, that would be able to grab your system > > configuration, build a profile of it, an dalso be able to apply a profile? > > > > So that you can install gentoo, with gnome configured as you like it, then ask > > this tool to generate you the profile of the system, so that you are enable to > > share it, or reuse it on other systems? > > A very interesting idea... > > > The good point of this is that we don't limit the user choice and that we allow > > very easy way to automate the customization (profile file distribution). > > > > The bad news is that you need a tool to grab the system configuration properly. > > But maybe it's as simple as diffing the changed files compared to the original > > installed one, and file added? > > > > what do you think? > > As I said, I think it's a nice idea. But I'm not sure if this is even > possible to implement. In how much detail do you wan't to clone the > system? Just making aprofile to reinstall the same packages at some > random other machine is quite easy, but taking _all_ settings with it > could be a bit harder.
As I said on irc : there is a very simple way to do it : install a vanilla gentoo, then customize it. then launch the tool, which will archive any file that has changed + the ebuild list The profile will retain if the system uses X, fb, which bootloader whith which theme, which windowmanager, which themes... -- dams -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list