From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] desktop problems
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:21:42
1 On Monday 20 October 2003 12:47, dams@×××.fr wrote:
2 > Here is a repetition of what could describe a desktop problem that fall
3 > into our field of research. What do you think?
6 > For me, a desktop problem is not always a problem wich involve window
7 > managers, or graphical interface.
8 >
9 > I would tend to say that desktop means workstation for private use, client
10 > side. That is, everything UI oriented. That includes windows manager, but
11 > also config programs, installation problems, software installations, and
12 > simple (client-side personal use) system managment. By client side I mean
13 > everything that does not use servers. So setting internet/lan connection is
14 > desktop, but setting a ftp server is not.
15 >
16 > In addition, bringing hardware to work for home user is also part of the
17 > job.
18
19 I agree with this. Everything associated with a workstation is within the
20 desktop focus. So setting up simple lan connections is related, multihomed
21 machines not.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze