From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:59:57
1 Tiemo Kieft <blubber@g.o> said:
2
3 > > we can do plugable applications. in GTK, you can plug an application in another
4 > > one. It's very simple to do. I'ts used in the mandrake control center, and
5 > > differently in the gnome control center.
6 > >
7 > > It's important to keep in mind that those config tools will be available in
8 > > console mode, where the gui takes a lot more space (newt/ncurses). So the
9 > > screen should be simple with only few gui widget to be able to display fine in
10 > > both mode. Or we do two seperate tools for each mode. There are technical
11 > > solutions to have one code that works in gtk and ncurses. Maybe the same exists
12 > > for other toolkits. Anyway it's maybe a little soon to talk about that
13 >
14 > As you said, it is too soon to be talking about this. But I want to say
15 > this :). I think that the tools should be seperate, and that the tool
16 > itself should determine wether to use GTK or ncurses. Something like
17 > this could be used, if we use python:
18 >
19 > try:
20 > import gtk
21 > except RuntimeException, e:
22 > """ no gui, using ncurses """
23 > ...
24 >
25 > An ofcourse we offer two options, for instance -g and -n to force GTK or
26 > ncurses (if available).
27 >
28 > Yet another argument against a precompiled language like c or c++ but it
29 > is really too soon to be talking about this :)
30
31 right :)
32 Well those ideas are good I think. (It remains me the mandrake way to do it :)
35 dams
38 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list